1. Make a green sauce first. Add all ingredients – except olive oil– in a food processor and bled it. Pour sauce to the small bowl and then add olive oil following by salt.
Taste sauce for flavor.
2. Heat a cast iron or heavy grill pan over high heat until extremely hot. Grill the steaks until opaque, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and season with salt/ pepper and herb mix.
Finishing and Presentation:
• Randomly place frisée leaves and Kalamata olives on a plate, then drizzle with lemon juice.
• Place squid stake in the middle of the plate and Drizzle green sauce on top.
• Finish with by pinch of coarse salt and pepper, and splash of olive oil.
• Serve with fresh lemon wedges on the side.
Recipe & Photography by Rita de Guzman
“Less is more” Squid stake with frisée salad
byRita de Guzman
Delicious and easy to make this dish is true celebration of the Mediterranean Sea.
This recipe is super quick to prepare, but timing and preparation steps needs to be well planned ahead.
Don’t season the squid until after they are cooked, as salt would draw out moisture causing then to steam rather than sear.
Squid steaks need to be cooked quickly otherwise they will get toughen.
Ingredients for 4 person:
* 4 Squid steaks, 4 to 6 oz. (125 to 185 g) each
* 2 head frisée (1 pound)
* 32 or more Greek Pitted Kalamata olives
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 lemon
* coarse salt, Italian herb mix and black pepper to taste
For green sauce:
* 1cup packed fresh Italian
* 1 cup packed cilantro or parsley
* 1/2 cup green scallions
* 1 clove garlic
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
* 1/2 extra-virgin olive oil
* Salt and black pepper to taste
* 1 small fresh habanero pepper (optional only for extra spicy kick)
GANNI Launches Playful “Let’s Go Outside” Capsule
A Kyoto Spell-bounding Hotel
Perianth Hotel is a Modernist Beauty [Athens]
Happiness found at Sacromonte Casitas
Loewe Weaves project: a collection of unique artisan crafted objects
A different kind of chill at Chill & Co. [Serifos]