“Seasonal Fling”: Soft shell crab with Brussels sprouts
byRita de Guzman
If you are looking to impress someone with your cooking skills, but don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen this plate definitely will do it. Soft shell crab takes only 6 minutes to cook! ? Only thing to remember that Soft shell crab is seasonal usually starts in early April and runs through early November.
Ingredients for 2 person:
* 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
* 10 oz (284 g) Brussels sprouts, Shaved
* 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
* 1 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 cloves crushed garlic
* 1 sprig fresh rosemary
* Dash of cumin
* ¼ cup water
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose or any preferred flour
* Salt and black pepper or smoked paprika to taste
Method & Presentation:
1. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil, crashed garlic, sprig of fresh rosemary, and shredded Brussels sprouts. Sauté for about for 2 minutes until golden brown.
2. Add ¼ cup water, salt, cumin, pepper and sauté for another 6 to 7 minutes until fork-tender over medium -low heat. Stir halfway through to ensure even cooking.
3. Sprinkle each crab with salt and pepper. Place flour on a plate, then dredge each crab, turn to coat, and shake off excess flour.
4. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, add butter, spring of fresh rosemary and soft-shell crabs, top sides down, and cook for 3 minutes. Turn it over and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Finishing and Presentation:
• Cut and place cherry tomatoes along the edge of the plate.
• Pile Brussels sprouts at the center and flatten at the top using a spatula.
• Carefully place soft shell crabs on top of Brussels sprouts and drizzle with olive oi
• Finish with the smoked paprika or black pepper for taste.
Recipe & Photography by Rita de Guzman
Current Craving: “Less is more” Squid Stake with Frisée Salad [Recipe]
Current Craving: Venetian Gondola [Recipe]
Current Craving : Tropical Breakfast Bowl
Current Craving : Spring Super Salad
Current Craving : Spring Risotto
Current Craving : Lamb & Farro Salad with Herby Cannellini Bean Hummus