London’s Smithson Plaza is a prominent concept designed between 1959 and 1964 by Alison and Peter Smithson. Renowned for their rejection of modernist design principles, the Plaza was imagined as headquarters for The Economist, standing in opposition to 50s mundane block of flats. Working with a lot of Portland stone and glass, the architects succeeded in translating their aesthetic into the project.
Smithson Plaza has recently been renovated by a local practice DSDHA featuring a separate visual prepared by dn&co. It was inspired by Plaza’s initial function of an open public space for a creative community. Minimalist and elegant branding materials reflect stone’s natural textures. Albertus Nova typography was chosen after discovering a craving outside of the building. Put together with soft, earthly shades, the visual gives a sense of architectural longevity.