This Shell station was built in 1954 and was abandoned in 1986 then sat empty until it was bought in 2005 by Juerg Judin, one of Berlin’s most influential gallerists. 3 years of work to rehabilitate the station with the help of BFS Design, they renovated the structure into an amazing live/work space with a fancy kitchen inside the old auto shop and an annex building that serves as gallery. Be sure to check out the NYT article here
Between bamboo bushes and cream-colored tiles, the influential gallery owner skillfully achieves a stylistic amalgamation of old and new, of historical consciousness and contemporary sensibility. Here, he discusses how he renovated such an amazing building and his goal to bring people closer to art.