The bags are all made up by different techniques that come together to make saddles she adapted the skills to make accessories.
The reason why I choose to keep the artifacts resembling saddles, was for the over all concept of the “Displacement of the Saddle” the displacement of the saddle has a number of meanings:
- Displacement. –From saddlery as function and craft to artefact.
- Saddlery, which has beautiful form and function with equisetic craftsmanship to a fashion artefact. A fashion artefact that acknowledges saddlery traditions of being Aesthetic pleasing but perform its function.
- The idea of Displacement and a repositioning of saddlery was also part of the design process where 2d flat images of the saddle and their component parts were displaced and reorganised to create the artefact.
- The bicycle also displaced the horse, and hence the fashion artefact displaces the saddle.
- I propose that in today’s society the bicycle has replaced the horse.
- Automotive transport is also being replace and people are returning to the bicycle, as the cost of petrol continually increases and commuters choose bicycles to travel around London
Much as the traveller of the past needed a good saddle, today’s commuter needs to transport their belonging but then be able to walk into the boardroom in style with possessions that reflect their status.
More information at http://shwt.me/rvm
Christina Hamilton chose to use Saddlery as the basis of her design and technical process for her MA final project at the London College of Artsfz. She is a trained saddler and felt there is so much more that can be done with the techniques used in the Saddlery and harness making. The development of the idea came from researching saddlebags and accessories that attach onto the horse. Christina started to think of the new ways that people carry bags and how they travel. She came to the conclusion that the collection should be able to be fitted onto the bicycle and be able to be used off the bicycles.
May 25 13 @ 5:50 PMJames Murphy and Special Guests at Grand Prospect Hall
May 26 13 @ 5:54 PMOneohtrix Point Never at Saint Vitus
May 27 13 @ 6:01 PMA conversation With James Murphy
May 28 13 @ 5:46 PMNaoaki Funayama: X-don at Ouchi Gallery
May 29 13 @ 6:06 PMMarina & The Diamonds and Charli XCX
May 30 13 @ 6:10 PMLee "Scratch" Perry at Le Poisson Rouge
May 31 13 @ 6:15 PMAzari & III at Highline Ballroom
Jun 07 13 @ 10:42 AMThe Govenors Ball NYC Music Festival
Aug 28 13 @ 3:55 PMVenice Film Festival
May 02 13 @ 2:18 PMMedium Concepts Sample Sale